Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bruce Campbell and a Cemetery Picnic

No, I didn't meet Bruce Campbell at a cemetery picnic!!  Instead, there were two Goth Meetup events this weekend that I attended.  With this group, it's either feast or famine; this week it appears to be a feast.

The first was last night, a Home Movie Night showing of two Bruce Campbell films: Bubba Hotep, followed by Alien Apocalypse.  We had five goths, two guests, and Daisy the pit bull in attendance at this one.  We had a very strange (but fun!) assortment of munchies, including chips, sodas, Chinese takeout, and some s'mores cupcakes I made in the afternoon.  The first movie was VERY different from what I expected (I'd watched Army of Darkness a few weeks ago, so I was expecting something like that).  Somehow, the idea of two old guys in a convalescent home who think they are really Elvis Presley and President John F. Kennedy taking on a soul-stealing mummy just never occurred to me as a legitimate storyline, but it was actually pretty good, and very funny.  What made it fun was that the whole thing was SO out there that you had absolutely no idea what was going to happen next!  After a brief intermission, we watched Alien Apocalypse, which I have to say was a disappointing letdown after Bubba Hotep.  There wasn't even very much ichor when they FINALLY got around to killing the human-sized, wasp-like aliens, which they did by shooting them with arrows, when all they really needed was a giant can of Raid.  Daisy didn't like it much, either; she went to sleep and snored through most of it. 

Today's event was our second Cemetery Picnic, held in a much larger cemetery than last time.  Rather unfortunately, the directions were not very clear, and we had trouble actually getting the group together as we got there on time but didn't realize there were two fountains, so we waited at the wrong one, and others got there late.  Again, seven adults showed up, but the pit bull was replaced by a small boy who was was much more enthusiastic and bouncy.  Fortunately, he was also fairly well-behaved, so what could have been a disaster (children are not really supposed to be brought to these events unless it's specifically mentioned that they are welcome) turned out to be a lovely, fairly peaceful get-together.  Sadly, I forgot to bring my camera, and no one took pics while we were there, so I won't have any pictures to share.

Now I'm going to eat dinner and go to bed, as I'm so tired I'm falling asleep at the computer.  Fortunately, I'm on vacation this week, so I don't have to get up early tomorrow.  G'night.

6 comments:

  1. As much as I enjoy watching a good movie, it's hard for me to sit through one anymore and I often watch it over two nights. Two in one evening would have overwhelm me and I probably wouldn't sit in front of a screen for weeks after that. The cemetery picnic sounds like fun. Two Goth meetups in one week certainly was a feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have done without the second movie myself, but it was too nice to be with other goths for a change, so I shut up and stayed! :-) I don't watch movies (or TV in general) all that often, but it's on all the time as Martin is always watching something, so I get tired of its incessant yapping. On the rare occasions I'm alone in the house, the TV is OFF!

      Delete
  2. I loved Bubba Hotep - it was so off-the-wall!

    I do love movies but I hardly watch TV either, Lucretia - only when I'm sick and flat on my back on the couch. But the spouse has it on all the time too; I have the computer in the same room so at least it feels like we're doing something as a couple. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our computer is at the opposite end of the house, but I sometimes do my sewing or crafting at the kitchen table while he's watching TV (our apartment is a joint living room/kitchen type deal). Unfortunately, I usually can't read in there because I keep getting interrupted by commentary and/or tirades (usually while football games are on)! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Stopping by to wish you and yours a most delightful All Hallows Eve! xo

      Delete
    3. And a Happy Hallowe'en to you, as well!! xoxo :-)

      Delete